Oh my stars! If ever you could have the taste of a bite of carrot cake without baking an entire cake, this is the way to go! These protein bites are packed with fibre, whole grains, nuts, and the natural sweetness of dried fruit which makes each mouthful a pure delight. I have several energy bites in my collection and these are the ones I am asked to make, time and again. If you want a surefire way to add a little pick-me-up to your afternoon cuppa, this is the way to go. You won’t be disappointed!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (can also use dried quinoa flakes.)
- 1/2 cup medjool dates (6 or 7)
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling
- Place the cashews and oats into a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times until the nuts and oats start to break down. Add the dates and pulse until they break down and start to form a sticky mixture.
- Now add the applesauce, maca powder, and spices and whizz around until a dough forms. About 45 seconds….
- Add the grated carrot and pecans and blend until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Tip the shredded coconut into a bowl, and take about a tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Now roll this around in the coconut and place on a lined cookie sheet or plate and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set. When set, store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for about a month.