Keto. Paleo. Vegan. Pegan. Schlameel-schlamazzle! With all of the eating advice ready at our fingertips these days, it’s hard to know which way to go when eating what’s right and best for our body. Over the past little while I’ve been looking into Keto and Paleo menus. What I’ve learned is that our body will eat the glucose provided by sugar(s) before it eats the fat provided by healthy fats. This means that if you eat too much sugar, your body will store fat because it’s busy eating the sugar. Our body does need some glucose to function but we can get enough sugar through natural foods rather than fuelling our body with processed cr@p.
Our body needs good, healthy fat to nourish our brain, which is made up of 60% fat. In addition to feeding our brain, eating healthy fats feeds every cell in our body, keeps our cholesterol levels in check and our heart happy. The other ingredients I have included in these fat bombs are almond butter for protein, and cacao powder for its antioxidant properties, as well as magnesium which helps level blood sugar. The collagen strengthens our hair, nails, skin, bones and joints! And I included maca powder for its adaptogenic properties, and an added energy boost. If you don’t have collagen or maca powder at home, no worries – add in an extra tablespoon of cacao and your bites will be extra chocolatey – not such a bad thing 🙂
So here you go, friends. Permission to eat this fat-laden, sugar-free healthy snack that is good and good for you! xxx
- 1/2 cup cacao butter (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup almond butter (125 grams)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp collagen powder
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- good pinch of sea salt
- Have ready 12-15 silicon moulds, or place mini paper cups into a muffin tin. You could also prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper and once the bites are set, cut them into squares.
- Place the cacao butter, coconut oil, and almond butter in a small sauce pan and while stirring, melt these together over a low heat.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir these around to combine. Next, pour the mixture into your mould(s) of choice and set in the fridge for 30-45 minutes to harden.
- Pop them out of the moulds and store in a parchment lined glass container and place this back in the fridge. You can also freeze the fat bombs and they will hold their shape a little longer when serving.
- If you’re going to transport these anywhere, know that they will start to melt in your hands upon touching them. They are meant to be eaten pretty much straight out of the fridge.