This soup, taken from Anna Jones’, A Modern Way to Cook, is a delightful pick-me-up when you’ve had one too many cold winter days. It’s got but a handful of simple ingredients and best of all, can be made and on the table in under 30 minutes. The addition of lemon lifts it to a beautiful level of freshness. Do enjoy this delicious vegan soup!
- 6-8 scallions
- 1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 kilo frozen green peas
- 1 400ml can full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon veg stock powder
- 1 bunch fresh basil or coriander (or mixture of both)
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Fill and boil a kettle of water, and get all your ingredients and
equipment together. Put a large soup pan, one that has a lid, over
medium heat to warm up.
- Chop the green onions finely, and put them into the pan with the
coconut oil. Turn up the heat to its highest, and cook for 2 minutes,
- Add the peas to the pan with the coconut milk, stock powder, and 3
cups of boiling water, then put the lid on and bring to a boil. Once it’s
boiling, simmer, still over high heat, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Add most of the herbs (stalks and all) and the juice
of the lemon, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until
super-smooth. Or transfer the soup to a conventional blender, and
blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and top with a little olive oil and the rest of
the herbs. Share, and enjoy!