Do you ever hanker for creamy Caesar salad dressing? I do. This light tahini dressing is the perfect solution! It is lemony and garlic-y in all the right amounts and the addition of tahini means it really clings to the kale leaves after being tossed. I really enjoy this salad when kale leaves are in abundance as we make our way through the winter months. This is a great salad to make ahead for lunch the next day because most of the ingredients will hold their shape for a day or two. When preparing a big batch so I have enough for leftovers, I find that I can add all of the ingredients except the tomatoes and avocado, because these tend to get mushy when kept in the fridge, or chopped and left until the next day. Keep your avocado and tomatoes separate and out of the fridge and add them as you are just about to toss the salad leaves with the dressing. This is a delicious vegan dressing that will challenge your favourite raw egg/anchovy Caesar dressing. I hope you give it a go!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Ingredients for the Kale Salad
- 6-8 large leaves of curly kale (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped carrot (2 small carrots)
- 1 English cucumber, 2 cups chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup or so, chopped grape tomatoes (or other variety)
- ½ cup mixed dried blueberries or cranberries
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup toasted and chopped nuts
- Dressing: 1 batch of Vegan Caesar Dressing
- Your desired fresh or dried herbs
- Chop the vegetables and mix these together in a large mixing bowl. Put the hemp seeds and chopped nuts aside, for sprinkling on top just after you dress the salad.
- Make your Vegan Caesar Dressing in a food processor and process until smooth, then set aside.
- Tear the leaves off of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry the kale leaves. Massage for 2 minutes to help break down the chewy membranes.
- Mix the vegetables, kale leaves, and a full batch of dressing (3/4-1 cup) in a large bowl until thoroughly combined and all of the leaves are coated.
- Serves 4-6 and will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 1 day. (Remember to leave out the tomatoes and avocado if storing for another day.)
*** Can use any veg, really – green beans, celery, snow peas – as long as it will hold its crunch!
Vegan Caesar Dressing
Yield: Just under 1 cup of dressing
Ingredients for the Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- the juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
- 6 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, add more to taste
- 1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp water, or as needed
In a food processor, add all of the dressing ingredients and process until smooth. Makes just under 1 cup.