Do you ever hanker for creamy Caesar salad dressing? I do. This light tahini dressing is the perfect solution! It is lemony and garlic-y in all the right amounts and the addition of tahini means it really holds on to the kale leaves after being tossed. I really enjoy this salad when kale leaves are in abundance as we make our way through the winter months. This is a great salad to make ahead for lunch the next day. When preparing a big batch so I have enough for leftovers, I find that I can add all of the ingredients except the tomatoes and avocado. Keep your avocado and tomatoes separate and out of the fridge and add them as you are just about to toss the salad leaves with the dressing. This is a delicious vegan dressing that will challenge your favourite raw egg/anchovy Caesar dressing. Give it a go!
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 large head of kale (about 4-6 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped carrot (2 small carrots)
- 1 English cucumber (2 cups chopped halves)
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- 1 & 1/4 cup chopped grape tomatoes (or other variety)
- 1/2 cup mixed raisins and Goji berries (I used dried blueberries)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (can use pistachios or other favourite nut)
- Dressing: 1 batch of Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing
- Your desired fresh or dried herbs
- Chop vegetables and mix in a large mixing bowl. Reserve hemp seed and walnuts for sprinkling on top.
- Make your Lightened Up tahini-Lemon Dressing in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Tear the leaves off of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry kale leaves. Massage for 2 minutes.
- Mix the vegetables, kale leaves, and full batch of dressing (3/4-1 cup) in large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Place in fridge to ‘marinate’ for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4. Keeps in fridge in a sealed container for 1 day.
*** Can use any veg, really – green beans, celery, snow peas – as long as it will hold its crunch!
Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing
Yield: Just under 1 cup of dressing
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
- 2-4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 tbsp water, or as needed
In a food processor, add all ingredients and process until smooth. Makes just under 1 cup.